Saturday, May 12, 2007

The Good & The Bad

I've decided that since I tend to be opinionated about things, I may as well post my opinion about a few things on my blog! :) (If that's not the understatement of the year, I don't know what is!) My first "Opinion Blog" will be about books that get made into movies. I love to read, and I especially love to read books and then watch the movie. Like most readers, I love to form my own pictures in my mind while reading. Then, while watching the movie, I love to see how other people envisioned the story.

Back in January (the field trip was delayed in December because of our major snow storms!) our entire school went to see the newly released film, Charlotte's Web. When I learned we were going to see the movie, I quickly found a copy of the book (they were rather difficult to come by at this time) and read the book in one sitting (it's not very long or complex). I was reminded of how I love the book and had high expectations going into the movie. I also really love the cartoon version of the book. I have to say that even surrounded by 300+ elementary school age children, I was still brought to tears at the end. It was a great movie! The director & producers did a great job portraying the spirit and major themes of the movie. The acting was great, the animals were great & I just loved it! Two thumbs up! A must see for young children!

Next up, I read the books Eragon and Eldest, I think a 3rd book is coming out sometime soon... These are fantasy books targeted at jr high/high schoolers who love fantasy. I really enjoyed reading this book about a boy and dragons. It is set in a fantasy world much like Lord of the Rings. I was delighted to learn it was being made into a movie. Joel & I just watched it last night. Honestly, I give it two thumbs down. I know the book is dense with details and plot and characters, but the movie covered about 1/4 or less of it. I was really disappointed. Read the book, skip the movie.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love to read the books while my husbands opinion is, "Why read the book when you can watch the movie?"

Thanks for the reveiw on Charletts Web, a new movie for us to try this weekend.

Did you plant some herbs in the your little garden area? You could also try some native Colorado plants so you don't have to water as much.

Beverly said...

Our kiddos (and Ted and I) LOVED Charlotte's Web. We got to go to a free early screening last fall, and it was fabulous! We had read the book together over the summer, and it was so fun to see it come alive. One of the few movies based on novels that we consider as good as the book!

Can't wait to see your garden area when we visit in July!