Sunday, May 13, 2007

Opinion Blog #2

Here is the second round of my "Opinion Blog". Hope you enjoy reading it. Today's reviews all get 2 thumbs up!

I have found that I really enjoy reading nonfiction & historical nonfiction. Who knew? I used to just love reading novels about whatever...

Last fall, I started reading the "Mark of the Lion" series by Francine Rivers. I had started it a long time ago when a friend bought me the first book in the series, but I just couldn't get into it! The first book, A Voice in the Wind starts off with a chilling description of the battle of Jerusalem from 70AD. I had no idea what that had been like for the Jews living there at that time. Gruesome. But the more I read, the more I was hooked. I stayed up late night after night to read the next chapter (this is not a normal behavior for me--I love sleep & never get enough of it!). I had to check out the next book from the library. I was not happy I had to wait to get it! The third book is quite a bit different from the first two, but was equally as enjoyable. A must read for Christians who want a different perspective of the 1st Century Church.

After getting a dog in December, I decided I needed to do some reading about dog training and dog behavior in general. My dad & one of other friends who recently got a dog turned us on to The Dog Whisperer (aka Cesar Milan). I think his show is on The National Geographic Channel. We rented the first season of DVD's from Netflix. We loved the show, so I checked out his book, Cesar's Way. It is a very easy read and starts with his own person biography of how he made his way to Hollywood from Mexico. The book explains natural dog behaviors and how to help dogs from a psychological level. A must read for anyone with a dog or who has children who will be around a dog. It has great tips on how to help kids behave appropriately around dogs. I will caution you that it does have some New Age material that I don't necessarily agree with. I just skipped over those parts and used discernment with the other material. Great book to read & a good handbook for dogs with troubled owners (read the book & you'll understand what I mean).

Finally, and probably most strangely, I have started reading non-fiction books about Communist China. China? Yes, China. My principal lived there for a number of years and I have enjoyed seeing pictures and hearing from her about the culture that seems so different from ours. Recently, she told me about a book called Wild Swans by Jung Chang. It is quite thick and full of history dating back to the 1800's. It starts with the story of her grandmother, a concubine to a Chinese warlord in the 1920's. It continues on with her mother's story and her own, leading up through the 1970's. I haven't actually finished it (it's due tomorrow--yikes!). But it is excellent. Again, I think Christians (and most Americans in general) should read this book. It has given me a totally new perspective on the communist way of life and what other countries are like outside of the USofA. Two thumbs up for me!

Her most recent book is called Mao and is all about the communist leader who ruled China for much of the later 20th Century. I hope to tackle that after I take a break from this heavy subject for a while!

Enjoy! If you read any of them, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

We'll see what other opinions I come up with. Don't worry, I'll think of something!

No comments: