Sunday, July 01, 2007

Before & After

One of the projects Joel & I wanted to do last summer, but didn't get to, was ripping out the overgrown bushes & shrubs (weeds) in the front of the house. Well, yesterday was the day! Despite the 100 degree weather, we had a number of friends come and help us (and boy are we grateful!). We started about 8:00am--before the sun had a chance to peek over the house and heat up the front yard. Here is what the bushes looked like before we started...

We started with a chain saw and clippers and just began destroying everything! The ripping out part was fun. The cleaning up part, not so enjoyable. We ended up chopping a lot of it up and putting it into bags, twining the larger branches together & our friend took a lot of the wood for firewood. We took 1 trip to the dump and still have at least 1 more trip to the dump to take when we rip out the stumps. You'll notice in one of the after pictures that all of our old carpet is still on the front porch...
At least the main part of the project is done now & we doubled the size of our front yard! We still have one more bush to take out (it has nasty thorns) and then we'll rip out all the stumps. Our hope is to do some terraced landscaping all the way around the front of the house up to the new fence (seen in the picture right above). But, that will probably have to wait until next spring...Oh the joys of owning a home!

2 comments:

Ski said...

It already looks better! Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Beverly said...

You guys are working AND playing hard! I loved the pics of Joel getting eaten by the plant. :-) Thanks for the update...it was fun to catch up with what you guys have been up to.