Friday, January 04, 2008

Transitions

I've really spent a lot of time thinking about what my first blog should be about. I have lots of funny stories and things to share from our Christmas celebrations, but it just didn't seem like a smooth transition from my more "serious" advent blogs to just jumping back into my regular old routine.

Transitions can be tricky. Waiting is usually involved. An element of the unknown is usually found in transitions. And they always require a sense of patience and practice. Transitions between scenes in a play. Or the movement from singing to preaching in a church service. Moving from the hospital back home after surgery. Finishing high school and going off to college. Being engaged and moving into marriage. After a death and trying to move back into the routine of life.

Moving into 2008 has been tricky for me. There seems to be an extreme element of the unknown awaiting. And I'm sure I've lost my patience somewhere in 2007. And, even though I've had 29 practices at moving into a new year, I'm at a loss.

The transition has been a bit abrupt. 2007 ended so suddenly and I had thought so much about Christmas and cleaning up after all our family events, that I hadn't really thought about 2008 starting. But like with most transitions, here it is, ready or not!

What will 2008 hold for me? How will I serve God this year? Who will I meet? What will my failures be? What will be my biggest success? What will my life be like as I start 2009?

I don't know the answers to any of those questions. I guess I'll just have to find out as I transition back into my routine and trust God to provide all the answers. Maybe my next transition won't take me by such surprise.

1 comment:

my3boys said...

This just reminded me how I always feel like celebrating the New Year with everyone is January, but I also feel like celebrating a New Year in August when school is about to start. I kind of make mental "resolutions" at both times each year. Both times sort of feel like the beginning of a journey for me. I kind of like that...having two fresh starts per year.