Wednesday, August 12, 2009

A Little Chair For Little Man

Three years ago when Joel & I purchased this house we inherited some items from his mom. One of these items was a little brown rocking chair (covered in some horrible leather-looking plastic fashionable in the 80's) Joel & his brother had when they were kids. At the time, I told Joel that if he hadn't cleaned it up within a year, I was going to get rid of it. Thankfully I never got around to fulfilling that promise.

This summer I decided it was time to do something with the little rocker or it should be tossed...I've been in a tossing mood lately. So, I called my friend, Briony, to come & help me recover it. I thought this would involve much sewing, fitting of fabric & a few hours worth of work.

Boy was I wrong.

Briony immediately began disassembling the small chair and about 2 hours later it was in pieces. I was amazed. I had no idea. We headed off to the fabric store and found some awesome brown fabric. Very chic. We worked for a little while and then decided to finish the next day.

In the end we worked for about 12 hours, spent about $75, used about 500 staples, sewed just a couple of seams on the bottom flaps and ended up with the cutest chair ever. I am so pleased with it & Anders loves it.
I bet you are wondering why I haven't posted a picture of Anders IN the chair. It's not because he doesn't love the chair, he really does. He just doesn't sit still enough in it to get a picture. He would just be a big blur, unlike the pictures in the next blog post where he is strapped down in his seat!

1 comment:

ski said...

Good for you for doing it yourself! I took one that had been at my grandparents house and had it redone, it had 60's material on it! The girls loved it, Now it mainly holds dolls and clothes.