Sunday, June 15, 2008

08.08.2008

I love the Olympics. Ever since I can remember, I have loved watching the Olympics. I remember when you used to have to wait 4 years between games. Now it's only 2 and I'm glad I don't have to wait so long.

I love the athletes, the stories and even the way the anchors "cheese up" some of the competitions--you know, romanticizing the stories and playing with our heartstrings. I love the underdogs who come from behind, those who aren't supposed to win but do, and even those who are supposed to win and take the gold.

I love seeing the different countries represented with their athletes, their flag and I especially love hearing all of the National Anthem's being played. Obviously, the US has the best and I like hearing that the most, but the other ones are pretty cool, too.

I love learning about new sports--who knew that athletes tossing a large, round object on ice and sweeping it could be interesting (for those of you under-educated in Olympics, this sport is called Curling)? And who knew that the triathlon was just added as a sport in 2000? It's not like I have time to follow all of these random sports throughout the year--I just learn as I go during the Olympics.

There are two things I don't particularly like about the Olympics. The politics and the strange parts of the Opening Ceremony. I don't really get into all of the International Affairs of which country is attending and which is not. And, I don't usually like the crazy dancing and music and just plain weirdness that usually is the Opening Ceremony.

However, I do love watching the parade of athletes during the Opening Ceremony. There is something amazing about watching thousands of athletes, coaches and trainers from hundreds of countries marching in one stadium, united in one parade. Call me emotional, but I love it when our world can come together united.

This August is a potentially busy one for us. Baby J will be making his appearance at some point. My due date is August 21--three days before the Olympics are over. Here's to hoping he can wait until then so I can get my fill of Olympics.

Will you be watching?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you ever get the chance to go to the Olympics take and go! As a high school graduation present we went to the '84 Olympics in LA. What an experience, my mom was there for the finish of the first Women's marathon and I saw Tracy and Candy win gold in synchronized swimming the first year that sport was in the Olympics. I still have some of my pins and autographs.

When politics gets involved the losers are the athletes who have worked hard, trained and raised money to earn a chance to for a trip to the Olympics. I don't like that part either.

I am not sure how much I'll be able to watch, I have an all day class that week and then on 8/18 we are supposed to be able to move into our brand new school. Lots of work to do before the kids show up three weeks later.

How are you feeling? ARe you having a baby shower? I have some things for Baby J., some new and some gentle used toys if you would like them.

Anonymous said...

I so LOVE the olympics too! I am so excited to watch them again. It's so funny that you blogged on this because Dan and I were talking about how we had Adah during the last olympics. We were just chilling in the hospital together with our new little girl watching the olympics. It's actually a great memory. Maybe this time you'll be doing the same thing!

Julie Luebcke

my3boys said...

I don't consider myself a girly-girl, but I love gymnastics in the Summer Olympics and I love figure skating in the Winter Olympics. I make my boys watch that stuff with me too since I suffer approximately 365 days per year of hockey, basketball, baseball, football, NASCAR cycling etc...on TV. And I DO like the weird parts of the opening ceremony where Katie Couric or whoever has to explain the symbolism of a two-headed dragon juggling sporting equipment while speaking "peace" in his native (forked) tongue!