Saturday, September 29, 2007

Ice Bucket

My friend Jeni told me when I was registering for my wedding, "Be sure to register for an ice bucket." Not being a big ice person myself, I remember thinking, "What? Who needs one of those? It will just take up space in my kitchen cabinets." But, I dutifully listened to her advice and registered for one. I have been thankful every time I've pulled mine out for a small group get together, large family dinner, or other occasions we've had with lots of people at our house.

I got to thinking about that old ice bucket (thank you to the generous giver of that bucket) today when I got it out for our small party tomorrow. I never would have bought it if Jeni hadn't given me that great bit of advice--it sure does make it easier when you're having a get together. Now if I could just find those little tongs.... She had already been married a few years by the time my wedding rolled around and she knew I would need it.

I sure am glad to have people like her in my life--just a step or two or quite a few ahead of me. The "been there, done that" people--not in a rude way, just "I've been down that road before, let me help you navigate the terrain.

Seems like more often than not, I'm a slow learner. I have to do things wrong a few times (or a dozen) before I get it right. I sure am grateful to have lots of Jeni's in my life--some older, some younger, but all with a different insight that helps me see more clearer that we're all in this together--helping one another out. Sometimes it's the small things, like registering for an ice bucket, and sometimes it's the big things like the finer points of marriage. Whatever it is, their advice makes my life a little easier and a little more full of purpose. I should have more parties, just so I can use that old ice bucket more often.

1 comment:

Jeni said...

I never did see your ice bucket!!!! haha!!!!!! When can I come over and use it? hehe!!!!