Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Wisconsin Trip Remembered, Part 2

For a few years growing up we actually lived on a lake in South Carolina. I have found memories of fishing off the small dock we had and catching lots of sun fish on my little bamboo fishing rod. No reel or fancy mechanism, just a stick & a string.

Another distinct memory I have from growing up is being in the water. Our family loved to swim! Maybe it's because we lived in hot & humid locations--I'm not sure, but I grew up swimming ALL summer. And, by the way, for those of you born in the last 10 years--we did it all without any sunscreen. I'll probably pay for that later...

My point is, it has been fun to watch Faith, in particular, be able to share in some of these memories of mine. I guess it's what you call "vicarious living". I guess parents have a tendency to do that with their own kids. Since I don't have any of my own, I have to do it through my nieces & nephews! :)

Faith was introduced to fishing by her Nana (I hope I got that right), which is Gary's mom, while they were visiting this summer. Nana was even willing to purchase huge night crawlers (probably to my sister's horror--they closely resemble snakes & we're not too excited about reptiles). They would pull the night crawlers apart & Faith would say something like "I love you, worm, I'm sorry" and then "pop" them apart. Then it was off to fishing!

So, one afternoon while we were in Wisconsin, Oma & Opa (Grandma & Grandpa) decided to take Faith fishing at a local trout farm. Aimee & I opted for shopping and lunch at Panera. It was about 90 degrees and 99.9% humidity when they went, so that's why their hair looks all wet in some of the pictures--it ws just that hot!
They had a great time. Opa would get the worm all ready, Faith would cast it into the water and then almost like magic a fish would appear! Faith must think she's the best fisher ever! In all reality, some people were just scooping them out of the water with a net because they were so crammed in at the hatchery. Faith ended up catching about 16 fish in 1 hour! They had them all cut up and prepared and the fish were served for dinner the following week.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good stuff! Thanks for the memories!!!