Saturday, March 29, 2008

Are Dentists Really Helpful?

I hate going to the dentist. I mean I really hate going. It's not that I hate people who are dentists, I just hate the whole experience. No matter what dentist I try, they still use the same scrapper thing and the electric polishing machine with bubble gum flavor. It's like they are in a club or something and all have the same torture tools.

What makes me crazy is that I've been to the dentists for, oh, the last 25 years and their methods haven't changed one bit! It's like they decided in the early 1900's what methods they would use and then formed a secret society that swore that no matter how technology changed, they would keep their archaic tools. It's a conspiracy, I tell you.

Joel and I haven't been to the dentist in like 16 months because of all of this. We've avoided it and made excuses. It's not like it really matters, right? Well, I finally decided I needed to go because they tell you it's important to go when you're pregnant. So I broke down and called a new dentist.

I am proud to say that Joel & I went to the dentist this week. It was a major breakthrough for us. Who chooses to spend their vacation time that way? In the end, this new dentist is part of the Dental Torture Society of America, but it wasn't all bad.

They were even kind enough to tell us we had no cavities. Bonus.

4 comments:

Amos said...

AMEN sistah! I am sooooo with you. I had one baby tooth fall out as a kid, one I pulled out, the rest, Yanked by the dentist! And to this day I hate going there because they will tell me all that work back then, needs more work now. Could they just clean my teeth and quit the mental torture! You are so right on!

my3boys said...

tee hee! I've never understood the fear of the dentist. Have you heard of the people who have to be sedated in order to have their teeth cleaned? I realize their fears are real, but I seriously don't get it???!!! My kids LOVE the dentist because he gives out toys and toothbrushes at the end!

Anonymous said...

My husband agrees with you! He didn't go for close to 15 years and in the past two years has had major and I mean major work done. I think it's easier to go once a year than to go through what he has gone through the last two years.

My girls go to a pediatric dentist and they love to go. They have gerbils to feed and sometimes a therapy dog visits. The belief of the office is to make a habit of going and if it's scary or hurts than people won't go so they go slow with the kids and make sure they are comfortable before they do any major work. The only room with walls is the x-ray room other wise it's a big room with benches for the kids to lay on to be examined or have their teeth worked on. The first few times we were able to hold the girls while the dentist examined their teeth. Meghan who hates any type of doctor now says to me, "I'll go by myself, you stay here (in the waiting room)." I hope you can find this type of dentist for Baby J so he/she (I feel it will be a girl :)) won't have the same fears you and Joel have.

Anonymous said...

Hey girl so I had not been for about 5 years and just started going. I guess my new dentist is not part of the club cause they don't use those tools anymore. They use some water pick thing, I'm not too sure if its better but it actually felt pretty good. Even though I have TONS of work I have to get done.