Sunday, April 13, 2008

Baby Stuff!

I always knew in the back of my mind how stuff babies needed. But, it wasn't until actually going to Babies R Us to see all of the equipment first hand, that I realized it really is a lot of stuff! I'm not sure where all of it will go without taking over the whole house! It seems like a bit of a conspiracy to me--do babies really need all of that stuff? Pioneer children survived with a rattle and a corn husk doll...

We've already started receiving clothes-- they are so cute! The outfit on the left is from my friend Janelle--the shirt says "Thank heaven for little boys". I hope I'm still saying that in a few years! The other two outfits are from my mom--the Swedish shirt was Baby J's first outfit--way back at Christmastime. Joel is convinced the clothes are way too big for our baby (two are 0-3 months). I don't think he realizes how much room the diaper takes up! :)

Well, we both have lots to learn, lots to do and lots of sleep to store up before Baby J arrives!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Get ready for the onslaught! We are just now digging out and regulating toys to certain areas of the house. Start early with that! Although I have discovered that we have more books than toys! They actually prefer to sit with a book or draw than to play with toys.
I heard, on NPR last MOnday, about a book you might like by Pamela Paul, called "Parenting, Inc." It talks about all the "things" we think or are told we need for babies. She talked about strollers, diaper warmers (we used one with both girls and found it very helpful especially when newborns) and baby sign (something else we found helpful although I already new ASL). Good luck with everything. One thing we found we didn't need and never used was a crib, a bassanet yes and a good rocker or glider rocker. I also loved the Boppy pillow for nursing and for when they started to sit up.

my3boys said...

Storing up sleep before the baby arrives??? Now why didn't I think of that? Too late for us now. :) Good luck with that for you guys though! ;)

Unknown said...

NO ... you do NOT need all that stuff! Some people get it but do they actually need it?!? Pioneer days ... heck, just ask your Mom if she used all that stuff! I imagine we are about the same age and I was aghast when I visited a Babies 'R Us for the first time before my grandchildren were born. Retire ... heck I would have to work till I die to get all that stuff for my grandchildren! It ain't goin' to happen!!!

Good luck sifting through it all. I am certain you have many good friends and family who can offer advice on what they found useful. How did Ski manage without a crib? That should be an interesting story!?!

Amos said...

You are miles ahead to even think of having too much stuff. So many people just buy buy buy and then wake up in a daze years later and wonder why their house is a mess. You are so sensible and I love hearing your perspective. You are going to be A-Mazing parents!

Anonymous said...

Meghan had such severe allergies as a baby she was up screaming in pain, often every 20 minutes through the night so to keep my sanity and get some sleep she ended up sleeping in our bed. At 16 months we moved her into her twin bed where she's been ever since. We never had the problem of "once you let them in your bed you never get them out." Both girls moved to their own beds and have stayed there. I, at times, especially when they are sick have spent part of my night curled up on thier bed. Our lactation nurse recommended not buying a crib until after the baby came, you have a couple of months, and to ask around to see what other people do/use. Many people in the Northwest are choosing to co-sleep, especially nursing moms. It's easier and you get more sleep! You have to do what works best for you and for your family!