Tuesday, September 02, 2008

The One I Love

I don't know how many of you who read my blog actually know Joel personally. Words used to describe him most frequently would be tall, bald and pretty funny. But there may be another side to him that you don't know. He might even be a bit embarrased that I'm telling you. He's a pretty sensitive guy. There, it's out. I hope he doesn't lose his "guy card".

This past week has obviously been a roller coaster of emotions, experiences and events for us. Joel has weathered the storm a bit better than I have. He has just been awesome--and I didn't expect anything less. Starting at about 4pm last Wednesday, his true nature became clear--his calm, compassionate way of taking care of me through the entire birth process, even though I'm sure he was a bit scared and freaked out. Not the typical Wednesday night activity for us.

When Anders was born, he became an instant "best dad in the world", changing diapers, speaking quietly in his ear, rocking him and just loving the heck out of our new baby. I didn't even change a diaper until Monday because he had taken care of all of that. What a guy.

I knew Joel would be great at all this dad stuff--he's been waiting a long time to be one. I just didn't know he would be this great. Makes me love him even more. And hope that more people can see his softer side. It makes him a better man.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Joel, keep up the good work!