Sunday, December 16, 2007

December 16

When Joel and I were first married, we thought we knew each other. Like most couples caught in the bliss of love, we were perfectly content with each other. To some extent, we had no faults and life was good. For about 5 minutes! Life changes very rapidly when you're first married. There are so many things to learn about each other--and even yourself--that you have to keep a sense of humor.

Joel and I have had lots of fun--and frustration--over the past 3.5 years learning about each other. The more we learn, it seems it's easier to love and trust the other person. You know why they do the things they do and what to expect from that person.

It's the same way when we enter into a relationship with God. We may know some about his personality before we accept him into our hearts, but it's not until we really begin to dive into his Word, pray, attend church and have fellowship with other believers, that we truly learn about his ways. Like with our relationship with our spouse, it's only through experiences and over time that we learn about their true personality and what the promise means when we say "I do"--to God or to our spouse!

Over the past few years I have learned so much about God's personality. His truly is unique. The more I learn, the more I am able to trust him and am able to be blessed by him. And, in all reality, the more I know about him, the better my worship is of him.

Unless we have a true understanding of who God is--what he loves and what he hates, about his kindness and his wrath, about his gift and about his judgment--we cannot worship him fully and truly appreciate all he has done for us. I hope that this learning can continue for my entire lifetime.

This week as we await his coming--or at least the celebration of it--my hope is to focus on the personality of God. And maybe, when Christmas comes I will have a better understanding of what he has done for us by sending his own son to earth for us. And, that my knowledge would spill over into appreciation and love for my God who loves me so much.

What do you already know about the personality of God? What do you need a better understanding of?

How have you learned about God's personality?

What does having a better understanding of God mean for you in your life?

How will we teach it to our children (whether it's your own or nieces and nephews or cousins or neighbors...)?

"I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, and so, somehow to attain to the resurrection from the dead." Philippians 3:10-11

"But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of him." 2 Corinthians 2:14

No comments: