Friday, December 21, 2007

December 21

Did you know that 35 million Americans will begin their Christmas shopping today? That causes me a lot of stress! By this time of year, I like to be at home watching a movie and eating popcorn, not braving the mall parking lot. Most should be declared a Federal Disaster Area from December 20-25.

I like to give presents. For the most part, I enjoy making a list and buying gifts for friends and family. Often I really wish we had more money to be able to get everyone else what I'd really like to get them. I enjoy wrapping presents and putting name tags on them and placing them under the tree. The only part I don't like is going to the post office! (This year was a great year--I only had to go once to mail one gift--I had planned in advance!)

There are times when the present is perfect. So much so, that I don't want to share it with anyone. I got two boxes of Ferrer Rochers for Christmas already. I'm not sure I'm willing to share. Joel received a really awesome backpack/briefcase from his mom for Christmas. He loves it. It's perfect and I'm pretty sure he's not going to share with his bag-loving wife.

Sometimes I get the wrong present. The wrong size or color or something they don't like. That's OK, let's exchange it and get something you'll use. Some people might be offended by gift receipts or even gift cards. I'm not. Get something you will really use or something you really need. No need to have something sitting on a shelf collecting dust.

Ultimately, whether we remember it or not, Christmas (whether it really occurred on December 25 or not) is really about God's present to us. Salvation. Free. Unique. Fits perfectly. And it's exactly what we need, whether you knew it or not.

His present to us tells us a lot about who God is. Giving. Merciful. Forgiving. Powerful. Generous. And we can be all of those things, through God's strength, if we only accept his present to us. Amazing.

Where's God's present been this year? On the shelf, collecting dust? Or is it well-worn and used?

Have you passed along God's present to someone else this year? Or have you saved it all for yourself?

Do you view God's present as your most previous gift or down the list somewhere below big screen TV or family?

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son." John 3:16-18

No comments: