Sunday, December 09, 2007

December 9

Now that our hearts, minds & homes are ready for the holidays it's time for us to do something. I know, I know--my schedule is full, too. I just emailed a friend to see if we could do dinner and I think it will have to be in January! How can we be that busy?

A friend reminded me recently that you make time for what you love. For some, that may be scrapbooking or sewing or cleaning house or shopping or baking or yard work (yes, a man down the street thinks a yard should be mowed year round--I say our yards look the same under the 7" of snow we got this weekend and we didn't do any work on ours!)

If this season really is about Jesus' birth, we should do something special to celebrate it. I love it when people do something to help celebrate my birthday, so why wouldn't Jesus feel the same? It's just that we should be doing serving others all year round, not just at Christmastime. Well, here's your chance to show others the love of Jesus. A week of serving others.

By the end of the week, I hope you will be able to look back and say, "I loved Jesus by serving someone else". My hope is to give you at least 100 ways to love Jesus by serving someone else.

How will you allow God to open your eyes to the needs of others this week?

What will your response be when your service is met with criticism or a negative attitude?

Is serving others really worth the time and effort?

"I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine (stranger, sick person, someone in prison) , you did for me." Matthew 25:40 (the rest of this parable is worth reading in Matthew 25:31-46)

Service Opportunities
1. Scrape someone else's car. (maybe at church, probably someone you know)
2. Make breakfast in bed for someone you love.
3. Smile at the check out clerk and say "thank you for your help".
4. Bake something and leave it anonymously in your neighbor's mailbox. Or leave it in your own for your mailman.
5. Volunteer in the nursery at church for the busy Christmas Eve service.
6. Pray for someone every day for the next week.
7. Shovel your neighbor's walk or driveway for them.
8. Send someone who has served you recently a thank you card.
9. Send your child's teacher a thank you note.
10. Have your child send their teacher a thank you note.
11. Leave a co-worker a candy bar on their desk anonymously.
12. Sponsor a child through World Vision or Compassion International for the next year.
13. Write a personal note to a friend who is a missionary thanking them for their service.
14. Allow the Holy Spirit to use you for God's work today without selfish motives.

1 comment:

Tricia said...

Hi, Sarah!

Couldn't agree more on the truth of making time for what you love... :o)

Love your blog! You have given me some great things to think about. Thanks for guiding my heart to the Lord, via blogspot.

Great to be in touch with you, friend!