Tuesday, December 18, 2007

December 18

It's no secret that I love Ferrero Rochers--those two-bite pieces of heaven-on-earth chocolate wrapped in golden foil. I love them! One day during my first year of teaching, things were chaotic. When you put 30 sixth graders in one room with a tired teacher, that can happen. I don't really remember the details of why things were so chaotic, I just remember it was one of those moments I wasn't quite sure what to do. And then it dawned on me--how could I be so foolish?

I had a Ferrero Rocher in my lunch!

It was like a scene from a movie where time seems to slow down and the camera circles the main actress and ethereal music plays in the background. I unwrapped the candy and placed it in my mouth. It was like time stopped and all craziness in the room (and it was pretty bad at this point) seemed to fade into the background. Heavenly peace flooded me and all was right in this world.

For about 10 seconds. Then the music stopped and the chaos of the room enveloped me again. I regained my composure and started class again. The moment was over as quickly as it had begun.

But, I had such peace for those 10 seconds. Amazing.

Funny story. Biblical truth. In the maddening chaos of the world, there is only one way to experience true peace and it's not with a piece of chocolate. While some religions may teach violence and protest or exclusion, Jesus came to teach peace.

We often look for that peaceful feeling from the wrong places--a hot bath, a mountain hike, a good book, an entertaining movie, drugs, caffeine--whatever it may be. But that's not really true peace. It may help us feel better, but it's only temporary.

During this chaotic time of year, "Peace" is used on Christmas cards, wrapping paper, signs, etc...but I'm not sure that most people get it. It's not something you do at certain times of the year. And it's certainly not something you can do alone. True peace comes from when we allow God to truly be in control of our lives. And His peace can be permanent, if we allow him to work in our lives.

What will you do today to allow God's peace to become a part of your life?

How will His peace be evident in the chaos of your life?

How will you show His peace to others who don't have it?

"Peace I [Jesus] leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid!" John 14:27

No comments: