Saturday, December 08, 2007

December 8

This week's theme has been about hospitality and the home. I grew up watching my mother display lavish hospitality on our guests--and there were many throughout my childhood. I'm not talking about fine china and crystal dinner glasses or even fancy 5 course meals. But, what I do remember was that guests were always welcome, whether it was just for a meal or for a week-long stay. Guests were made to feel like they belonged there and were a part of our family.

No matter where we lived--and we lived in a lot of houses growing up--we always had a guest room. Sometimes it was in the basement and one time it was even in a "closet"--just big enough for a bed. But, we always had a space for people to come stay with us. I'm rather grateful for that because it meant never having to give up my own bed for guests!

It is just so natural for my mom--it truly is one of her spiritual gifts. She set a great example for me. So now, I am trying to create the same environment. We have a large guest room--it just worked out that the guest room is the biggest bedroom in the house--and I love cooking and having people over. I wish we were able to have more people over. Hospitality doesn't come quite as naturally to me as it does to my mom, but I do enjoy it.

When we practice hospitality, we can show others, in a tangible way, the love of Jesus by welcoming them into our homes. It can create an inviting forum to share what is going on in our lives. And even to share the Good News with them. We can make our guests feel like family, like they belong. Our hospitality to others can be an outward display of what we are feeling in our hearts--a desire to serve Jesus and that Jesus "belongs" in our hearts and lives.

Romans 12 says:

Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves. Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Share with God's people who are in need. Practice hospitality. (vs. 9-13)

(This section goes on to list many more commandments about "love". It's worth reading, especially at this time of year. )

How will you show hospitality to someone this December? How will you serve them in response to Jesus' command to "practice hospitality"? How will you make them feel like family?

How will you show hospitality to Jesus this December? Will you get your "guest room", with clean sheets, towels and an extra blanket, all ready? Or will you have him stay in a closet--out of the way?

What will you do to make Jesus your most honored guest this Christmas? And how will you tell others that he can be a guest in their heart, too?

No comments: