Thursday, December 20, 2007

December 20

Recently I attended a 2-day conference for work about communication. One entire section was devoted to learning about different personality types. This particular presenter used a very basic personality chart with four sections: socializer, relater, thinker, and director. Socializers & relaters are more informal people, while thinkers and directors are more formal. Socializers and directors are more extroverts, while relaters and thinkers are more introverted.

The point was, the more you know about what category(ies) you fall into and the more you know about your co-workers or family members, the easier it is to relate and communicate with them. (This has kind of been the theme for the week--learning about God's personality)

For those of you who may be wondering, I fall under the "director" category almost 100%. I wasn't really surprised and I'm sure most of you aren't, either. :) I like planning, details, lists, being in charge, seeing projects through, all with a little mix of socializing.

So why, then, do I have such a difficult time trusting that God has a plan for me? Sometimes, in the thick of things, I'm completely unable to trust that God knows what he's doing. My "director" personality overwhelms me and I take over. We all know the results of that--absolute failure, every time. In the end, I'm glad that I fail, so that I have nothing left but to trust God.

But God really does have a plan for me and for you. It begins in Genesis 1:1 and is still being carried out today. His plan includes a savior, born unlike any other king--in a manger. His plan also includes a death for that king unlike any other--death on a cross to save us from our sins. For his believers, the plan also includes a beautiful place called heaven. He's got it all under control.

What is God's plan for me? If I don't know, am I willing to ask God and then trust him with the answer?

How am I fulfilling God's plan for me each day?

When God's plan isn't exactly what I want it to be, what is my response?

What's God's plan for me in 2008?

I'm not sure why I'm on such a kid-song kick this week--maybe because I've been looking for some kids CD's for my niece. But, this is the song that came to my mind today as a "verse for reflection". :)

He's got the whole world in His hands,
He's got the whole world in His hands,
He's got the whole world in His hands,
He's got the whole world in His hands.

He's got my brothers and my sisters in His hands,
He's got my brothers and my sisters in His hands,
He's got my brothers and my sisters in His hands,
He's got the whole world in His hands.

He's got the sun and the rain in His hands,
He's got the moon and the stars in His hands,
He's got the wind and the clouds in His hands,
He's got the whole world in His hands.

He's got the rivers and the mountains in His hands,
He's got the oceans and the seas in His hands,
He's got you and he's got me in His hands,
He's got the whole world in His hands.

He's got everybody here in His hands,
He's got everybody there in His hands,
He's got everybody everywhere in His hands,
He's got the whole world in His hands.

No comments: